Semester Reflection

Graphic Design Semester Reflection


     So far this year, I have worked towards completion on one of my longest projects: a subscription box. Between designing patterns and deciding composition, it's only halfway done but it's still an impressive progress.

The Takeaway

     Each of the five guarantees played an important role in the learning process. With technology, I had to learn to design and create digital patterns, something I was not used to nor prepared for. I made my way through by asking questions and learning from mistakes. The composition of the box was also important lest it come out wrong. We only get one try with the boxes so it mattered greatly.
     I continued working on collaborating and communication too. These were important to both understand the parameters of the project as well as catch hiccups along the way. By talking with fellow students and checking in with the teacher, I made sure to get things done correctly and on time.
     With this project, leadership and project management almost go hand in hand. Past the basic requirements, I was my own boss in deciding themes and more. I had to maintain the balance of my creativity and deadlines, making sure things were decent before completion. It was definitely hard to work on some deadlines because I am not used to working outside of creative flows but that is part of being professional. I gave myself breaks when needed and got everything turned in on time with effort.

Strengths and Weaknesses

     My strengths definitely lie more on the creative side of this field. I can brainstorm and dream to my heart's content. I had an easy time thinking of fun and engaging patterns and bringing them to life.
     My weaknesses lie somewhere on the technical side of things. The process of creating and editing can sometimes be grueling and exhaustive. Working, even when you don't feel like it, is a part of most jobs and graphic design is no exception. As I continue into 2020, I will continue working on these areas and constantly improving.

Moving Forward

     Though tedious, I am grateful to have this new knowledge under my belt. Besides looking at patterns differently, I can use this on current and future projects to add more substance or improve existing elements. One area I could use this specifically would be a current side project I've been investing in: my own comic. Right now, it is very simplistic as I am still learning but the use of basic patterns could add more visuals to the flat colors.

Looking Back

     My favorite part was likely the freedom to create digital patterns of my design. However, practicing with patterns on paper was something I found to be boring and dull. I'm not sure I would change anything because you need practice, but that did not make it enjoyable.

Summary

     All in all, I particularly enjoyed this project so far and I look forward to continuing it soon. I would definitely qualify it as one of my favorite projects overall and quite informative. Who knew how varied patterns could be? It was also nice to be able to choose the theme to be something I liked researching and designing. Below are just a few of the many patterns I ended up creating.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Film

The Breakfast Club Trailer