The Breakfast Club Trailer

Pre-Production

     This time, we created movie trailers from actual trailers that existed. My group settled on the classic The Breakfast Club. (I had never watched it and had to go do that.) Before we started filming, we had to find our actors, divvy up roles, and dissect the trailer. I was the editor, Andrew Duwe was the director, and Blake Dane was our cinamatographer (and one of the actors). I made our shot sequence, which was the length of a clip, where it was, what happened in it, and what audio there was, for every different shot. Andrew and Blake divided up the story board (drawing pictures of each shot) 1:2. Lastly, Andrew was in charge of getting all of our actors. We even got our principal to be the principal in the video.

Production

     We did just about all of our filming in two days. After school Monday we filmed as many shots as possible with two of our actors, as Blake never showed up and did not respond to our attempts to get ahold of him. Andrew took over the filming and I assisted with what I could. Tuesday we found out that Blake's ride had bounced and he wasn't able to make any of the filming sessions. Quickly, we recasted his role and Andrew filmed everything else Tuesday afternoon by himself. Our actors were also big helps and did everything we needed. We even ran into a surprise scheduling conflict with another large group Monday that they were happy to meet halfway.

Post Production

    Editing was not that difficult. I had the trailer pulled up side by side with our clips and just had to find what I needed. The only shots in the entire trailer that we did not have were when Bender (the rebel) was crawling through the ceiling and fell through, sadly. The audio was a little trickier, some clips (like the voiceover) were incredibly quiet compared to most other clips. After a lot of fiddling and some advice from a friend, I got it working better without too much background static sound.  Finally, the music. The music was difficult because the first song in the trailer was created specifically for the trailer. When it came to finding the second song, the only results I got were for the first and Don't You (Forget About Me). After some searching, I found two songs that had similar tempos and energy and substituted them.
     If I had to do this again, I might fiddle with a few of the audio clips some more to reduce the background sound further. I might also try my hand at a few different songs, just to see how they sound. I could also experiment with the Breakfast Club title graphic, as I was running our of time when I put it together. Still, this is a project I am proud of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester Reflection

Houses

High Hopes Music Video